Sunday, October 26, 2008

PERSONAL STYLE


I bet sometime this week you walked past someone who seemed to dress a little differently. Maybe they had on a particularly nice pair of shoes, or perhaps they were so badly put together it almost bordered on fashionable. We can't control what everyone else wears but we can certainly make an effort on our own style.

I live in Cape Town where the people are so eclectic. It's the city where the world meets! We have a culture so influenced by personal travel that the mix is just incredible and varied. It made it a sort of pre-requisite when I moved here four years ago from my own travels to London and the U.S. But I guess what changed in me was this need to have a personal style. It started with...wait for it- Abercrombie and Fitch tee's that we don't get here, which later progressed to the distressed bootleg denims and trendy shirts. Bootleg turned to skinny leg which moved to slim and before you know it I was more versatile in my dress than before. Working for Diesel for two years helped in that department!

But like any fashionisto I pursued fashion relentlessly. I studied the looks, the fits and the colours. I paid special attention to the details and I saved up to buy the items I really wanted. But before I had the money I made a list of basics to buy... consider I was 22 years old the time so it may vary for you:

- Crew neck undershirts in white to wear under V neck sweaters, or cardigans.
- V-neck sweaters in every colour!
- Decent underwear CK, Diesel, Armani, Paul Smith. If you can't buy labels buy plain coloured briefs without a label on the band.
- Fitted white shirt, fitted black shirt
- One decent black leather belt
- One Brown leather belt formal
- One Brown distressed casual leather belt
- Slim fit chino-styled trousers
- Basic blue casual denim
- Raw denim (Majorly versatile- best denim to own)
- Leather jacket in Black
- Fitted Blazer Jacket, to be worn over t-shirts of white shirt in versatile colour.
- Casual everyday jacket (I bought my khaki jacket at H&M)
- Haviana mens sandals in Black.
- Good quality shorts (I couldn't find any at one point so I cut an old pair of denims and khaki pants above the knee)
- One pair white All Star sneakers and one black

I believe this allowed me to branch out with several different looks once I had defined the basic needs of my wardrobe. But above all I think the cut of your clothing makes all the difference-- I'm a lean guy! I've seen some thin men wear classic cut shirts that drown them and it ruins the look completely.

Things to stay away from:

CROCS - Dear God, Don't even get me started on these!! No matter what you think they feel/look like, I assure you they are the ugliest shoes ever made! There are websites dedicated to the anti-crocs movement.

AFGHAN SCARF TIES - Over-done! Justin Timberlakes stylist should have known better. This look is way outdated and tired if you ask me! Stay away from things that are "trends".




SANDALS WITH SOCKS - You're not a German tourist. Need I say more?

SHORT JEANS WHEN YOU'RE TALL Diesel caters for tall men and you can find 35 length jeans at Paul Smith.

BE COLOUR CONCIOUS Avoid a mish-mash of colours in one outift, and do stay away from colours that wash you out! Shoot for strength i.e Olive tones for Olive skin!

I will be getting into each style out there for men in the next few posts. It might give you an idea of where you want to be! And wherever that is-- make sure you let it express YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment